Wednesday, December 14, 2011

DOMINICAN CHRISTMAS PARTY

Among the interests of Dr. Robert Brueck MD, a Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon, are a medical mission and schools in the Dominican Republic. This blog post is about his visit in the DR this Christmas season.

It has been a while since Linda and I were in the Dominican Republic. This year we were fortunate to fly down and celebrate Christmas with the kids at the various schools. First, there was one and now there are three.

We got down there Sunday night with the usual 2 hour delay going out of Miami to Santiago. Monday I played Santa at the Genesis school and Lutherana. This was so much fun. I was probably the most teary eyed Santa ever. Being German and trying to be a Spanish Santa took some doing. The inside of my Santa suit was lined with nylon which means I was dripping wet with the outside temperature in excess of 80 degrees. Being able to give presents to these kids was so special and heartwarming because for many of these kids, this may be the only present they receive. I will post some photos shortly and some will be on my Facebook page. Linda had so much fun taking photos and various videos. She had to buy more memory for her phone to do it. As I was walking up and down the atrium belting out Ho! Ho! Ho! And sprinkling it with a few Feliz Navidad’s I was concerned my white wig and whiskers would come off but I never lost them once – came close a few times as I hugged the kids.

The school in Palma Ariba has over 120 children and the number is growing. I learned that of 138 or so countries worldwide, the Dominican Republic ranks about 134th. So there is a great need for improving education. The schools curriculum is being based on the Concordia Lutheran curriculum. It’s a good one. After the holidays, Pastor Krey said they plan to begin cultivating some of their extra acreage to grow fruits and vegetables to feed the kids and any excess will be sold to raise extra funds for the school. They are also putting the finishing touches on an internet café to provide additional funding for the kids. They need to raise $40,000.00 to $50,000.00 to build a playground and basketball court with a roof over it so when it rains the kids will still be able to enjoy the playground.

Wednesday night was the Christmas pageant – in Spanish. Even though my Spanish is limited to Taco Bell – you felt the warmth, joy and serenity of the Christmas season as we celebrate our Savior’s birth. It was truly a magical moment. It will make our Christmas extra special this year.

If any of you are interested in sponsoring a child please contact me or Harry Ryan who is the director of our mission board. I would be happy to send you a brochure on Project Genesis. Our website is www.smlcprojectgenesis.org. The cost to sponsor a child is $420.00 per year and ALL the money goes to the school.

Have a blessed Christmas and the richest of God’s blessings to all in the New Year.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home