Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Is Running Good For You?


Even a hard-working plastic surgeon in Fort Myers, Florida has to take some time off and get away for a bit.

I was in
Philadelphia this weekend and my son Jay and I were looking for a cab – I thought for a moment I would run to catch up to him.  As much as I tried, I just could not do it.  I have severe arthritis in my left ankle from when I played soccer in college.

Generally running is good for your health but running more that 20 miles per week may be harmful and cause cardiac damage.  A body of research/evidence seems to point to the possibility that excessive running can cause coronary artery hardening.  Also there may be increased risk of atrial fibrillation or heart rate irregularities.  I guess that old axiom – all things in moderation - applies here too!

Run responsibly, my friends.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home